This Brioche Bread recipe is a labor of love that yields a deliciously soft, tender, and buttery loaf, perfect for those who cherish homemade bread. The recipe is designed to make two loaves in approximately 18 x 6 cm molds, featuring a pre-ferment to enhance the bread’s flavor and texture. The brioche’s rich dough, with its generous amount of butter and eggs, produces a luxuriously soft crumb and a beautifully golden crust that’s simply irresistible.
Why You’ll Love This: Brioche bread stands out for its fine, tender crumb and rich, buttery flavor. This recipe, with its step of allowing the dough to rise in the refrigerator overnight, not only makes the dough easier to handle but also deepens the bread’s flavor, resulting in an even more delicious loaf. Whether you enjoy it sliced and toasted with jam for breakfast, as the base for an exquisite sandwich, or simply on its own, this brioche is sure to delight.
Perfect Occasion: Brioche bread is versatile and suitable for any occasion. It’s a wonderful addition to a special breakfast or brunch, can be used to make luxurious holiday stuffing, or served alongside a festive meal. It’s also perfect for elevating everyday sandwiches and makes a thoughtful homemade gift for friends and family who appreciate the finer things in life.
Decoration Tips: For a beautiful presentation, brush the loaves with egg wash before baking to achieve a shiny, golden crust. Sprinkling the top with pearl sugar or sliced almonds before baking can add a delightful crunch and visual appeal. Once baked and cooled, slicing the brioche and arranging it on a wooden board or in a breadbasket lined with a linen cloth can enhance its rustic charm.
- 40ml warm milk
- 25g fresh yeast (or 9g dry yeast)
- 50g sugar
- 3 tbsp flour (taken from the total amount for the dough)
- 500g ultra-fine flour
- 50g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 40ml warm milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 200g soft butter
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 3 tbsp water
- Extra melted butter for brushing
- Combine pre-ferment ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, cover, and let rest for 25 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt, then add the pre-ferment, milk, sugar, and eggs. Start to combine in the bowl, then transfer to a floured surface.
- Knead in soft butter in 2-3 additions until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Place in a floured bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled. For a spongier texture, refrigerate overnight.
- On a floured surface, deflate the dough, divide into 12 pieces, and form tight balls. Place in greased and floured loaf pans, cover, and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (338°F). Glaze the loaves with egg wash and bake for 40 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Brush with melted butter immediately after baking and allow to cool.
Enjoy the exquisite texture and flavor of this homemade Brioche Bread, a testament to the beauty of baking from scratch. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the art, this recipe is sure to yield a bread that’s as satisfying to make as it is to eat.