Unlock the secret to effortlessly creating bakery-quality pastries at home with this stunning layered pastry recipe. This foolproof method transforms simple ingredients into a series of flaky, buttery layers that will make you forget all other pastry recipes. Ideal for both beginners and seasoned bakers, this technique ensures a light, airy texture that’s both visually impressive and delightfully tasty. Whether you’re preparing a savory snack or a sweet treat, this versatile pastry dough is your ticket to a world of delicious possibilities.
Why You’ll Love This:
This layered pastry recipe stands out for its simplicity and the exquisite texture it achieves. The combination of traditional ingredients with a unique layering method results in pastries that are perfectly flaky and rich in flavor. The use of both water (or milk) and vinegar creates a tender dough that’s a joy to work with, while the generous application of butter between layers ensures a melt-in-your-mouth experience. It’s a straightforward recipe with room for creativity, allowing you to fill your pastries with anything from cheese to chocolate.
These layered pastries are perfect for any occasion that calls for a special touch without the need for professional baking skills. Serve them at breakfast, as a refined afternoon tea accompaniment, or as a savory addition to your brunch table. They’re also ideal for celebrations, picnics, and as homemade gifts that will surely impress your loved ones. With their beautiful layers and irresistible taste, these pastries are guaranteed to be a hit at any gathering.
Before baking, brushing the pastries with egg yolk will give them a beautiful golden finish. For an extra sparkle and flavor, sprinkle sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or coarse salt on top. If you’re feeling adventurous, try incorporating herbs into the butter for an aromatic twist. Presenting these pastries on a decorative serving tray, lined with a lace doily or parchment paper, adds an elegant touch to your presentation, making your homemade creations look like they came straight from a gourmet bakery.
- 2 cups of water or milk (400ml)
- 1 teaspoon of yeast
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 5 cups of flour
For greasing the dough:
- 4.4 ounces of butter
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
For the topping:
- 2 egg yolks
- Mix lukewarm water (or milk) with yeast. Add vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, and gradually incorporate the flour to form a soft, non-sticky dough. Let the dough rest covered for 20 minutes.
- Divide the rested dough into 12 equal parts and roll each out lengthwise. Apply a generous amount of the butter and oil mixture between each layer as you stack them on a suitable tray (the more butter, the tastier).
- Cover and let rest for another 20 minutes. Then, stretch the layered dough gently, as shown in the video, either individually or in pairs, to enlarge. Optionally, brush more oil on top for better results. Roll up the dough and remove it from the rolling pin.
- Start with the first roll you made, cut it in half, and shape each piece into a pastry. Arrange all the shaped pastries on a baking tray and let them rest for 20 minutes for the final rise.
- Brush with egg yolk and bake in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) until golden brown.
Enjoy these beautifully layered pastries, a testament to your baking skills and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser at any table. Enjoy!