Elevate your baking game with this ultimate recipe for brown bread rolls, inspired by the Cheesecake Factory’s famous offering but with a personal twist that makes it even better. This recipe, perfect for making 12 luscious rolls (or loaves, if preferred), combines the wholesome goodness of whole wheat and the rich, deep flavors of molasses, honey, and cocoa, with a hint of coffee to intensify the taste. Coated in oats for an extra texture and rustic look, these rolls are the perfect companion to any meal, offering a touch of sweetness and a lot of comforts.
Why You’ll Love This:
These brown bread rolls stand out for their perfect balance of flavors and textures. The tangzhong method ensures a soft, fluffy interior, while the addition of oats on the outside adds a satisfying crunch. The subtle sweetness from the honey and molasses, combined with the depth of cocoa and coffee, creates a complex flavor profile that is both comforting and indulgent. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just starting out, this recipe is designed to be foolproof and rewarding.
These brown bread rolls are ideal for any occasion that calls for a touch of elegance and comfort. Serve them at dinner parties, family gatherings, or as a special weeknight treat. They’re especially fitting for holiday tables, where their unique flavor and appearance can shine. Additionally, these rolls make a thoughtful homemade gift, wrapped up with a bow for friends and loved ones who appreciate the warmth and love that comes from baking.
For a beautiful presentation, make sure to roll each bun in oats thoroughly, creating a textured and rustic appearance that’s visually appealing. Serve these rolls in a basket lined with a linen cloth to keep them warm. If you’re feeling creative, a drizzle of honey butter over the warm rolls just before serving can add a glossy finish and an extra layer of sweetness.
- Ingredients for the Dough:
- 410g all-purpose bread flour
- 90g whole wheat flour for a hearty texture
- 250g whole milk, warmed
- 20g dark brown sugar for a hint of caramel flavor
- 20g rich molasses for depth
- 40g natural honey for sweetness
- 12g unsweetened cocoa powder for color and taste
- 4g (2 teaspoons) instant coffee granules for enhanced flavor
- 1 large egg
- 6g instant yeast for leavening
- 8g salt to balance the flavors
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- Ingredients for Tangzhong:
- 20g all-purpose flour
- 100g whole milk
- Plus oats for coating the rolls
- Begin with the tangzhong: Mix the flour and milk in a small saucepan, whisking until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. Let it cool, then cover to prevent skin formation. Dissolve coffee in the warm milk separately.
- In your mixer’s bowl, combine the tangzhong, coffee-infused milk, and all other dough ingredients except butter. Mix until cohesive, then incorporate the butter, kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Let the dough rise in a covered bowl until it nearly doubles in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Deflate the dough, divide into 12 pieces, and let rest briefly. Prepare a greased or lined 11”x11” pan.
- Shape each piece into a rectangle, fold sides to the center, then roll into a log. Seal the seams well.
- Dampen each roll slightly, then coat in oats. Arrange in the prepared pan and let rise until puffy.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until golden brown, about 22-28 minutes.
Enjoy these decadent Cheesecake Factory-inspired brown bread rolls, a blend of rich flavors and soft, satisfying textures that are sure to make any meal special.