Dive into the delightful world of Classic Cocoa Cookies, a cherished recipe that has stood the test of time. These cookies are made with a choice of vegetable shortening, butter, or baking margarine, ensuring the intricate designs from your rolling pin remain beautifully intact. With a rich cocoa flavor complemented by a hint of vanilla, these cookies offer a perfect balance of sweetness and chocolatey depth, making them a hit among all ages.
Why You’ll Love This: The magic of these cocoa cookies lies in their versatility and the joy of baking them. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the kitchen, the process is straightforward but rewarding, yielding cookies that are crisp, flavorful, and visually appealing. The option to use different fats allows for experimentation to find your perfect texture and taste, making each batch uniquely yours.
Perfect Occasion: These Classic Cocoa Cookies are wonderful for any occasion, from a cozy family tea time to festive celebrations. They’re also ideal for gifting, wrapped in pretty packaging to share the warmth and love of homemade treats. Whether you’re looking to fill the cookie jar for a weekend snack or add a special touch to a holiday spread, these cookies are sure to please.
- 4 oz (115g) vegetable shortening, softened butter, or baking margarine
- 3.5 oz (100g) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 oz (200g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the shortening (or butter/margarine) and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, beating for another 4 minutes.
- Mix in the cocoa powder for 1 minute, then gradually add the sifted flour, beating just until combined to avoid overworking the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a plastic bag, flatten, and chill in the refrigerator for 40 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 5mm. Use a patterned rolling pin to imprint designs and then cut out the cookies. If using butter, chill the shaped cookies for an additional 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 356°F (180°C). Bake the cookies for exactly 8 minutes. They will be soft initially but will firm up as they cool.
- Optionally, sprinkle sugar over the cookies immediately after baking.
- Overbaking can cause the cocoa to turn bitter and lose its chocolate aroma. Watch the baking time closely.
- Chilling the dough is crucial for handling and helps in keeping the cookie shapes and designs intact.
Enjoy these Classic Cocoa Cookies, where each bite brings a burst of chocolatey flavor and a touch of homemade happiness.