Ingredients for the Cookies:
- Dairy-free block butter (cold and cubed): 200g
- Caster sugar: 100g
- All-purpose / plain flour: 300g
Pumpkin Sugar Coating Ingredients:
- Caster sugar: 4 tablespoons
- Pumpkin spice: 2 teaspoons (refer to notes for specifics)
Chocolate Filling Ingredients:
- Vegan Nutella (Recommended: Natures Store): 1 jar
1. Cookies: a. Whisk together the butter and sugar until they form a light and airy mixture. b. Gradually sift in the flour and combine to form a dense dough. c. Encase the dough in plastic wrap or baking paper and refrigerate for 40-60 minutes or until solid. d. Preheat your oven to 170°C with fan assistance and get a baking tray ready with parchment paper. e. After chilling, roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about ½ cm. Use a pumpkin-shaped cutter to shape the cookies and place them on the baking sheet. f. Bake them centrally in the oven for 12-15 minutes, turning the tray at the halfway mark for even baking. They should have a slight golden tint on the edges when done. g. Post baking, allow them to cool briefly on the tray before moving them to a cooling rack.
2. Pumpkin Sugar Coating: a. In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and pumpkin spice. b. Only coat the tops of half the cookies in this sugar mix. This ensures that when filled, the chocolate spread adheres properly.
3. Chocolate Filling: a. Transfer a generous amount of vegan ‘Nutella’ into a piping bag and snip the tip for easy application. b. On the uncoated half of the cookies, pipe a generous mound of the chocolate spread. c. Close the cookie with its sugared counterpart, gently pressing to make sure the filling slightly seeps through the pumpkin design.
Enjoy these delightful vegan pumpkin sugar cookies with a rich chocolate center!