Ingredients for the Pop Tarts:
- 240g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 220g cold, dairy-free butter (cut into cubes)
- Ice water (adjust as needed)
- Vegan strawberry jam
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 220g confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Black food coloring
- Combine flour and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Introduce the cold butter, working it in until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. This can be done manually or with a food processor.
- Gradually add ice water, starting with 1/2 tablespoon, until you achieve a slightly sticky but cohesive dough. The total water required might be between 1-2 tablespoons.
- Encase the dough in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C (fan setting) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Flour your countertop and place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper, rolling it out to form a large, thin rectangle. Use a ghost-shaped cookie cutter to create the desired shapes, placing them on your prepared trays. Gather and re-roll scraps as needed.
- Spoon and spread a small amount of strawberry jam onto half of the ghost shapes, leaving a small border around the edges. Brush these edges with dairy-free milk.
- Top the jam-filled shapes with the remaining ghost cutouts. Press the edges using your fingers, and then seal with a fork.
- Lightly brush the tops with dairy-free milk and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Let them cool before applying the glaze.
- In a bowl, mix together the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, and dairy-free milk until it reaches a thick consistency. If it’s too thin, add more sugar.
- Set aside a small portion of the icing and blend with black food coloring for the ghost’s features.
- Drizzle or brush the white glaze over the pop tarts, letting any excess drip off. Let it set for about 10 minutes.
- Finalize by adding the ghostly eyes and mouth with the black icing. Let it set before serving. The icing will harden as it air dries.